Monday, October 26, 2015
Indians in School Textbooks
During class, I read pages from a history textbook written in 1887, and searched for description of savagery within the textbook. According to Google, a savage is "a member of a people regarded as primitive and uncivilized." As I read how Indians were viewed in this time period, I was astonished to see how bad they were treated and how they were described as murderes, and people you would disrespect. It gave no motive to why the Indian's were there, their actual culture, and their ways of life. If I was reading this textbook in this time period, I would shape my thoughts of Indians around the description of people who did not deserve to live in America and be treated with equality. They were described as people who thought war was the answer to everything, and they did not have a clear understanding of what was going on. The Indians had their land taken away from them, and in return they were judged upon what the white man told everyone else, thus having a bad reputation.
History Textbook from 1887
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment