Monday, October 19, 2015

Deep Thinking

"Our use of social media for news is selective and intentional so that we may tend to remain interested only in things we are already interested in. On the other hand, professional news outlets, like newspapers, expose readers to information on a broad range of topics. This helps me to see what other people are interested in or think is important."

The Vancouver Independent previews the policy on Indians and a War in western Idaho where many troops were killed. The Indians tortured not only troops, but also the troops family members by cutting off a wife's legs, and killing their family. The people of Southern Idaho want a new Indian policy, and the current one is not sufficient enough.

The Vancouver independent., June 21, 1877,

           Today is June 21, 1877, a rather stifling day. The 4th of July is approaching, and I plan to attend a celebration in the North Fork of Lewis River. I should have a grand time between all of the dances, and the vocal performances. I bought a some new English and French cloth's superintended by a first class cutter from Fishel and Roberts, and a new saddle from J.J. Winter for bullet. When I came home, I could not find my pocket book. I lost a whole four hundred dollars between here and there.
         I do not know what this world is coming to. Indians are attacking innocent men, women, and children on the Salmon River, and no troops were even ordered. I do not know how and why these events are occurring, and how the government keeps covering themselves under the Indian Policy. This so called, Quaker Plan, is a fraud. The government seems to believe that they can create fine, christian, reborn Indians. What they do not know is that this is a fantasy that the Indians are winning. We give them rifles and religion, when all they do for us is turn against the American people. The government has stooped down to their level, and they need to realize what is more important: saving a thousand men, or trying to civilize the Indians. For now, I'm trying to stay out of this war and mind my own business, because the harvesting of my potatoes are almost ready. This year I planted the sprouts and they are supposed to sprout better and earlier. I am hopeful not only in my farm, but the community and the future of the United States.
                                                                                                                                         John Corless
Vancouver






The Vancouver independent., June 21, 1877,

4 comments:

  1. Very well written! You did a fantastic job writing as though you are from the 19th century, and you also did a good job incorporating news tops with in your diary entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Losing four hundred dollars? I hope you find it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how this was opinion based. It shows the mindset of people in the Western States. I hope your potato farm will be successful

    ReplyDelete